Choctaw Nation Storm Shelter Program
About the Program
- The program provides a grant for storm shelters to Choctaw Tribal Members who live in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas, which are states with a high risk of tornados. You must be 55 years old or older, or, you must have a documented ambulatory disability.
The Storm Shelter Program is administered through the Housing Authority of the Choctaw Nation.
- There are 3 shelters that qualify for this program:
- 6 X 8 Concrete In-Ground
- An in-ground shelter shall be installed within 100 feet of the home
- 4 x 8 Steel or Concrete above ground Safe Room (Applicant must provide proof that an above ground shelter is the only option due to Ambulatory Disability)
- For above ground installations, a slab large enough for the shelter will be required, this can be in a house, garage, or a standalone slab.
- You may have a storm shelter installed in a new or existing home.
- Storm shelters are awarded one time only
- The storm shelter must be installed at primary residences and must be installed on property owned by the applicant.
- Apartment complexes, duplexes, and other multi-family residences are not eligible for this program, as they are considered businesses.
- If you own two or more homes, you are only eligible for a storm shelter for your primary residence.
- Only one person may register per physical home address.
- Community or neighborhood storm shelters are not eligible for this rebate.
- If you live in a mobile home, you must own both the mobile home itself and the land it is located on to be eligible for the program.
- If you live in a rented house you are not eligible for this program. Only single-family residential homeowners are eligible for their primary residence.
- If you have already installed a storm shelter, or are having it installed now, that storm shelter is not eligible for this program.
How the program works:
- Applications will be processed on a first come first serve basis.
- Choctaw Nation Storm Shelter Grant Program
is dependent upon availability of funds. Storm shelters shall
be provided as grants for eligible applicants who meet the
qualifications. A grant in the amount of $2,500 for in-ground
shelters and $4,200
for above ground shelters, with payment being made to the Contractor that installs the shelter
- For above ground installations, the applicant must provide a slab large enough for the shelter. This can be in a house, garage, or a standalone slab.
- You will be notified by letter if your application is selected.
- If your application is selected, you will receive a voucher for the approved amount.
- Housing Authority of the Choctaw Nation is not responsible for any amount that exceeds the approved voucher amount.
- After completion of the installation of the storm shelter, you will need to submit signed and dated voucher and W-9 form to the contractor that installed the shelter.
- It is the contractors responsibility to submit voucher, W-9, invoice and proof of warranty to the Housing Authority of the Choctaw Nation for payment.
For additional information or for
assistance with completing the application, please contact your
district specialist below at (580) 326-7521 or (800)
|1, 2, 5||Shelbie Crow||271|
|3, 8, 11||Heather Robertson||263|
|4, 6, 7||Tabatha Jackson||259|
|9, 10, 12||Brandy Brisco||316|
** Applicants out of district contact any specialists above **
If you do not qualify click here for low interest loan information
To access the low interest loan application click here