Choctaw Nation Storm Shelter Program
About the Program
- The program provides a grant for storm shelters to Choctaw Tribal Members who live in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas, which are states with a high risk of tornados. You must be 65 years old or older, or, you must have a documented ambulatory disability.
The Storm Shelter Program is administered through the Housing Authority of the Choctaw Nation.
- There are 3 shelters that qualify for this program:
- 6 X 8 Concrete In-Ground
- An in-ground shelter shall be installed within 100 feet of the home
- 4 x 8 Steel or Concrete above ground Safe Room (Applicant must provide proof that an above ground shelter is the only option due to Ambulatory Disability)
- For above ground installations, a slab large enough for the shelter will be required, this can be in a house, garage, or a standalone slab.
- You may have a storm shelter installed in a new or existing home.
- Storm shelters are awarded one time only
- The storm shelter must be installed at primary residences and must be installed on property owned by the applicant.
- Apartment complexes, duplexes, and other multi-family residences are not eligible for this program, as they are considered businesses.
- If you own two or more homes, you are only eligible for a storm shelter for your primary residence.
- Only one person may register per physical home address.
- Community or neighborhood storm shelters are not eligible for this rebate.
- If you live in a mobile home, you must own both the mobile home itself and the land it is located on to be eligible for the program.
- If you live in a rented house you are not eligible for this program. Only single-family residential homeowners are eligible for their primary residence.
- If you have already installed a storm shelter, or are having it installed now, that storm shelter is not eligible for this program.
How the program works:
- Applications will be processed on a first come first serve basis.
- Choctaw Nation Storm Shelter Grant Program is dependent upon availability of funds. Storm shelters shall be provided as grants for eligible applicants who meet the qualifications. A grant in the amount of $2,500 for in-ground shelters and $4,200 for above ground shelters, with payment being made to the Choctaw Tribal Member and contractor of their choice.
- Once you have confirmed your participation, the Housing Authority will issue a payment guarantee letter for you to use to select your contractor.
- The payment guarantee letter is valid for one year.
- After completion of the installation of the storm shelter, you will need to submit a signed invoice and a photograph of the installed shelter. Upon receipt, a check will be issued to the Choctaw Applicant and contractor.
For additional information or for assistance with completing the application, please contact Donna Courtwright, Kari Smith, or Mary Payne at 1-800-235-3087.
If you do not qualify click here for low interest loan information
To access the low interest loan application click here